Recurrent cellulitis

Sponsored Links

As mentioned in a previous post, my doctor had prescribed Bactrim which is a sulfa based antibiotic treatment for my umbilical cellulitis. This treatment had to be repeated a second time since I experienced a recurrence of my cellulitis. When it came back a third time, the doctors office prescribed clindamycin which seemed to work faster. I concluded that I was experiencing recurrent cellulitis and started keeping track of the infection and the frequency with which it came back. That period in my case was six weeks.

Now recurrent cellulitis is treated by doctors by putting the patient on an antibiotic regimen, whereby the patient is generally asked to take an antibiotic treatment every two weeks or so. I feared what would happen if my body developed a resistance to the antibiotic and then I will have to go to progressively stronger and stronger medicines potentially. And from a layman’s point of view, I was not willing to settle for this.

So after taking the clindamycin treatment a second time after another six week relapse, I decided to watch my belly button very carefully and observe the very first inkling of recurrent cellulitis. Especially around the six week time period. Sure as can be, around five and a half weeks, I started getting a mild, a very mild pain. I immediately called the doctor and asked for an appointment.

Now, my doctor told me that it made no sense for me to keep coming back to him over and over again for the same issue and that given the fact that I was otherwise in very good health, I should really go and see a surgeon who might be more in tune with cellulitis infections. In the mean time, he told me that he would prescribe an antibiotic treatment of clarithromycin for a ten day period, but to go and see the surgeon rightaway.

I called and fixed an appointment with the surgeon and what a change in my life that did More to follow in the next post entitled cellulitis surgery.

Sponsored Links

No comments:

Post a Comment